Thursday, October 8, 2009

Platinum Vs White Gold (q & a)

Q:
The ring I looked it is an engagement ring with round diamonds throughout the band. It is white 14K gold with Rhodium plating. My girlfriend likes the look of the rhodium plating, which is why I am considering platinum. She does not like the look of white 14k gold without rhodium plating however. How long will the rhodium plating last? I've heard that it needs to be touched up every few years or so.The price difference between white gold and platinum is $1,000 on the ring I am looking at and I don't know if it's worth it.
A:
...white gold does quickly fade to yellowish especially in jewellery that gets lots of wear... like rings. A friend's white gold wedding band faded less than a year after getting married, and he's a total white collar bloke.Though, white gold is a lot whiter and shinier then platinum, which tends to be greyier and can dull through wear, I would have white gold if only the plating always lasts! 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice jewelry on your blog. I would also like to invite you and all your readers to join very new jewelry forum. Promote your page and share with others your jewelry experience. Thanks
    http://amymingjewelry.freeforums.org/

    ReplyDelete


Blogspot Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Best Architectural Homes